November 12, 2012

DC Universe

I know it's been forever since I've posted. My September/October was unbelievably hectic and I'm just now starting to officially decompress. I took an almost obscene amount of trips between work and pleasure and I also was in charge of the auctions (live and silent) at a fundraiser of a non profit that I support. This is my second year being in charge and I once again severely underestimated the amount of time and effort it would take. It turned out really well, but now just trying to get used to my routine before that took over my life.

So now I have a bunch of free time back on my hands and I thought I would try to see if I could revive the blog here. And I need to think of the next project I'm going to work on. But one of the bright sides of finishing that project (and staying in one time zone for longer than a week) is that I got a bunch of my photos developed and scanned. So I can share some more DC sightseeing images and thoughts. I know you all were just dying to see them right?

I will seriously recommend visiting DC after Labor Day, we encountered like one day where it was just miserably hot but then the weather got much cooler and you didn't mind that you decided to walk 3 miles to see National Cathedral. Plus you don't have to fight with all the kids on their school vacation. Most of the sites we visited weren't crowded at all (well you know except The White House, but at least that's a reason to go back).

One of the favorite things I did was watch the Senate and House on their first day back in session. They ended up not actually voting until like 6 o'clock at night, but it was so worth it to kind of see all the activity from up above. When explaining it to someone else as watching C-Span in person, others didn't share in my excitement.

I also really loved seeing National Cathedral. The guided audio tour is so worth the money and I could have spent another hour there just studying the stained glass windows.

Here's a sampling of some of my favorite photos. These were taken with my Olympus Trip 35.

Library of Congress Ceiling


I know that one of the effects of taking film photos with an old school camera is that some of the photos look really dated. However if I hadn't taken the photo above and you told me that it was taken in 2012, I don't think I would believe it. I mean what is the deal with the old time cars stopped at the stop light? I mean they might not even be old time cars, but they sure look it.


Despite the gated windows, you can still get some great shots between the railings from the Old Post office tower. Just make sure you hold on tight to your camera.


This is the moon stained glass window at National Cathedral. Now you can't really tell, but in the middle of it they actually have incorporated an actual moon rock into the window. Seriously how is that not the coolest thing ever?


This is a panorama taken with my Olympus Trip that I stitched together. The scaffolding and stuff is part of a restoration as a result of the earthquake in 2011. When you were in the Cathedral there are all sorts of nets hanging from the ceiling to catch any falling debris. 


I just love the color of the sky in this shot of the Capital.

So begins my blog recapathon. But enough about me. What have you been up to?

4 comments:

CeCe said...

So glad to see you back!!

Brandi@ Flights of Whimsy said...

I've been wondering where you were! I need to visit DC in spring for sure.

JennAventures said...

At least you were busy with charity-I only have corporate slavedom as my excuse.

Dannie said...

Nice to see you back! Love the pics and look forward to hearing more about your adventures.:-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails